Sweet..sweet..sweet..it is a must try recipe with bread and plantain. I love roasted plantain snack to the core. Like so, Sweet bread toast is my yet another easy snack recipes which i like the most . So i thought of making something very delicious and attractive snack with these two favorites. That results in this stunning Sweet Lasagne with plantain and bread. This snack can please a crowd. As i told you earlier, i love to experiment more in snacks recipes than a main course meal. Bread is one of the most versatile ingredient which can be shaped into variety of delicious dishes or snacks instantly. Me too, always on a hunt for some new recipes with bread. Really am very glad and thrilled to share this healthy snack idea with you guys. Do try this quick and easy Indian vegetarian snacks recipe once and i guarantee that, you will want this yummy sweet treat more for sure.
Lasagne / lasagna are wide flat shaped pasta with several layers of lasagna sheets alternated with sauces and other ingredients. Lasagne is an Italian cuisine. Lasagna, it is made in different style in different region. When the ground beef is sandwiched in between baked plantains, this named as pastelon recipe. Like wise in Southern Part of India, that is in Kerala - a snack named Chattipathiri resembles the same Lasagne. This Kerala recipe /layered pancake recipe is commonly prepared during Ramadan as Ramadan sweets or recipes / as Iftar recipes . Chattipathiri / layered pancake is of two versions. Sweet and savory chattipathiri / athishapathil / adukku pathiri, where the method is almost same for those sweet and savory. The only variation is done for the fillings . So, lets have a bread lasagne recipe with a twist. Ha ha... you can also name it as bread chattipathiri / bread adukku pathiri with bread and plantain. Lets see how to make bread lasagne /plantain recipes /recipe for plantains /Bread chattipathiri / best lasagna recipe with bread / lasagna recipe easy /plantain lasagne / kerala chattipathiri . Enjoyyyy...
You might also like Kerala lasagna / Chattipathiri
Milk bread - medium sized, 6 nos (here i used fruit bread as i have some leftovers)
Plantain - 1 , big sized
Coconut grated - half a cup
Almonds, cashews - a handful of, chopped
Egg - 2 nos
Milk - 3 tbsp
Sugar - 2 tbsp +2 tbsp
- Firstly, prepare the sweet coconut filling. For this, dry roast grated coconut in a non stick pan along with 2 tbsp of sugar over a low flame . Saute continuously until a fine aroma comes. No need of sauteing them until crispy. When done, set aside.
- Cut the big sized plantain (banana) into halves and then slice them into more than a finger length medium thick pieces.
- Now again, in the same pan, add 2 tbsp of ghee (tastes yummy with ghee) or you can use vegetable oil or coconut oil also. Toast / roast the sliced banana until golden. For a caramelized look you can sprinkle some sugar over it. Do not burn the plantain / banana. So make the flame medium low only .When done set aside.
- Now roast the chopped cashews and almonds in very less ghee. When done, set aside.
- Whisk well the eggs, sugar (2 tbsp)and a pinch of salt. Then add milk to it . Combine very well. Set aside.
- So now lets assemble it.
- Heat a non stick pan with 2 tsp of melted ghee and Once hot, make the flame very low or you can off the flame.
- Dip a bread slice in the egg batter and spread it on the preheated pan. Again layer another bread slice (dipped in egg batter) close to the previous bread slice.
- Add some egg mixture in the middle to join the bread slices.
- Then layer two slices of roasted banana / plantain. If required, you can layer more toasted plantain . Then top it with roasted coconut mixture. Then with roasted almonds cashews chopped .
- Again layer this with another two bread slices dipped in milk, add some egg mixture to join the bread slices, then layer some toasted plantain, then with sweet coconut mixture and top it with chopped almonds and cashews.
- Repeat the same until three layers. You can make more layers according to your choice. But it is preferred at least 3 layers.
- Finally pour the remaining egg mixture with a spoon on the top and sides of the prepared bread lasagne and top with some roasted banana slices, cashews and almonds chopped. Gently PRESS with the back of the spatula so that it will stick well. When all layers are done, switch ON the flame to medium low and cook for few minutes or until the bottom is almost done.
- Then slowly flip with a spatula with care and toast all sides. Do not burn the bread. So cook on a very low flame.
- Once done, let it cool completely and keep refrigerated for 30 minutes for best result. If you cut immediately, you couldn't get a perfect slice.
- Its yummy and attracts the crowd easily.