Sambar is known to be the famous dish of South India, mainly Kerala. There are many versions in the preparation of Sambar and is different in different regions. The choice of vegetables is based on personal likes and dislikes but it can be even prepared using a single vegetable. I am here sharing the recipe that tells you how to make tasty sambar without using ready made sambar powder.
Onion - 1 , chopped
Tur dal / moong dal - half a cup ( i prefer less, can add a bit more)
Tomato - 1, chopped
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Tamarind - a gooseberry sized ball, soak in water
Chilly powder - 1 tbsp
Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
TO ROAST (roast till golden and once cooled grind to a fine paste)
Asafoetida - 1 tsp
Fenugreek seed - half tsp
Cumin seed - half tsp
Urad dhal - 1 tbsp
Coconut - half a cup
Garlic - 3 cloves
Oil - 1 tbsp
VEGETABLES ( u can add vegetables of your choice)
Bottle gourd - half a cup , cubed
Carrot - 1 carrot , cubed
Beans - 8 nos, cut 2 inch lengthwise
Lady's finger - 5 nos, cut 1 inch length wise
Yam - cubed , as required
Drumstick - cut lengthwise , as required
Mustard seeds - half tsp
Dried red chilly - 2 nos
- Cook chopped onion, moong dal , chopped tomato and turmeric powder along with half a cup water in the cooker until 1 whistle.
- Mean while roast the ingredients given under for roasting with 1 tbsp of oil , until golden . Once cooled grind it with required water to a fine paste. Keep it aside.
- Now add the chopped vegetables to the cooker along with salt and required water. Let it cook with the lid open.
- In a pan heat 1 tbsp oil and add coriander powder , chilly powder and fry it for 2 minutes on low flame . Pour it over the vegetables in the cooker and mix well.
- After that add the tamarind water ( squeeze tamarind soaked in water and take the extract )to it. Cook for few minutes and then pour the roasted paste to it and cook till the vegetables done.
- Heat oil in a wok and splutter mustard seeds. Fry dried chilly and curry leaves for a while .
- Now pour the sambar to the wok and mix well for a minutes. Switch of the flame.
- Serve with hot rice, idly, dosa...