Prawns - 400 gms, medium sized, cleaned and veined
Onion - 2 nos, finely chopped
Tomato - 1, small, finely chopped
Green chili - 2 nos
Garlic chopped - 3 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1 tbsp + 1 tsp for marination
Coriander powder - 2 tbsp + 1 tsp (in roasted gravy)
Coconut grated - 1 cup
Fennel seed - 1 tsp
Shallots - 4 nos + 2 nos chopped for seasoning
Curry leaves - as required / few
Milk - 4 tbsp (optional , but improves the taste)
Kashmiri chilli powder - 2 tsp
- Marinate the prawns with 1 tsp turmeric powder and salt. Shallow fry it till half done. Set aside.
- Dry roast half cup of grated coconut, shallots, fennel seed, curry leaves, 1 tsp coriander powder in a very low flame till it becomes crispy or golden color. Keep it aside.
- Now heat oil in a vessel and saute onion till golden .
- When onion is done , add garlic chopped, green chilies, and salt. Mix well and then add chopped tomato.
- Saute till it becomes thick gravy consistency .
- Then add coriander powder, 1 tbsp turmeric powder and salt (if required). Mix well , Do not add water and let it cook for few minutes with lid closed.
- Now grind together the roasted mixture along with milk and the remaining half cup of raw grated coconut to a fine paste. Add water required for grinding.
- Pour it over the gravy and let it cook .When it starts boiling , add the half fried prawns to it and cook well till oil separates.
- Heat oil in another pan . Add 2 tsp of chili powder to it along with a pinch salt and saute well till reddish color . Pour it over the curry . In the same pan , heat some oil and fry chopped shallots along with curry leaves and chopped coriander leaves.
- Pour it over the curry and serve hot with Kerala rice pathiri, Neypathil,Paratta, Chappathi.....!!!!