Roasted mutton / roasted lamb is a lip smacking dish with an aromatic taste . It makes a delicious combo with Indian roti, chapati , Ghee rice and even rice too. Kerala style Mutton roast can be available in many South Indian restaurants with amazing taste but mostly ends up with some digestive problems. Thus i prefer home cooked food which is healthy and tasty too.
Chettinad cuisine ( a region in Tamil nadu state ) offers a wide variety of veg and non veg dishes. The chettinad dishes are well known for its taste and the freshly ground spices used in their dishes. The most popular among them are chettinad chicken curry, chettinad mutton varuval or chukka.. Here am sharing the best recipe for mutton roast in chettinad style.
Now a days, in most of the restaurant in South India mainly in Kerala, chettinad dishes plays a great role in their menu. This is my first chettinad recipe with mutton and it really became hit in my family. Here is my recipe for Chettinad restaurant style mutton roast, Kerala mutton roast. Do enjoy!!!!
Mutton / Lamb - 500 g, chop into small pieces
Onion - 3 nos, small, sliced
Tomato - 1, big, chopped
Green chili - 2 nos, slit length wise
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Chili powder - 3 tsp ( can add more or less )
Coriander powder - 3 tbsp
Ginger garlic paste - 3 tsp
Cumin seed powder - half a tsp
Fennel seed powder - 1 tsp
Garam masala powder - half a tsp (see notes below)
Curry leaves and coriander leaves
- Marinate the cleaned, washed and drained mutton pieces with turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder, ginger garlic paste, chopped tomato and salt. Pressure cook it until 3 whistles. Do not add extra water, as the mutton itself will release water while cooking.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a non stick pan or kadai. Saute the sliced onion until golden in a medium flame. When done, add green chili, garam masala powder, cumin seed powder, fennel seed powder and salt.
- Saute well for few seconds and now add the cooked mutton along with its stock water.
- Mix well and cook until the mutton is well coated with the gravy.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves and curry leaves.
- You can also drizzle some hot coconut oil over it and mix well. This makes the gravy more aromatic and flavorful.
- Our tasty chettinad mutton roast is ready to serve..Enjoy !!!
NOTE: Here i used garam masala powder instead of spices like cardamom, star anise, fenugreek, cinnamon and cloves. So you can use the same instead of garam masala powder. If so, u should saute it well before sauteing onion.
I used more amount of coriander powder which makes this roast more tastier.