Gulab jamun is a traditional dessert, popular in countries of South Asia. It is mainly made from milk solids, and traditionally from freshly curdled milk. Home made gulab jamun is usually made with milk powder, a pinch of all purpose flour, baking powder, egg and butter which is kneaded to form a smooth dough, mold into small balls, deep fried and then dropped in warm sugar syrup. Gulab jamun itself is of various types like jamun in glass, Gulab jamun with chashni, served with vark, kesar, Kala jamun and so on..
Gulab jamun, is my family's all time favorite sweet. The sweet soft balls with a fine aroma is liked by almost every one. And we cant even think of a party without this pleasant sweet. This is the easiest recipe that i was searching for long and i got this yummy, easy, trustworthy recipe from my friend Sana Hamsakutty. This is of course a perfect gulab jamun that melts in your mouth. So give a try and enjoy !!!
INGREDIENTS ( 10 -15 gulab jamuns)
Milk powder - 1 cup
All purpose flour - 1 tbsp
Egg - 1
Butter - 1 tbsp, melted
for the sugar syrup
Sugar - 1 cup ( can add more or less)
Water - 2 cups
Cardamom powder - a pinch
Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
- First we have to prepare the sugar syrup, as the fried jamuns are dipped in sugar syrup immediately after frying.
- So make syrup by boiling the above given ingredients together in a deep pan and when boiled add lemon juice, make the flame to very low and again boil for few minutes stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Now combine together milk powder, all purpose flour and baking powder in a bowl.
- To this add the whisked egg and melted butter and make a smooth dough.
- Now make very small balls out of dough, as it will increase size when fried.
- Heat oil in a pan. The oil must not be too hot, as it will result in an uncooked jamun. So the heat oil in a medium flame and then deep fry it. Make sure that the balls are fried evenly and you must turn the balls continuously while frying for the perfect jamun.
- Now add the fried balls to the prepared syrup and finally cook in a very low flame for 2 minutes.
- The mouth watering gulab jamun is ready and enjoy the goodness of this home made dessert.