Fish and seafood plays a great role in South Indian cuisine, mainly Kerala. As the state Kerala has large inland water bodies, the river fish and lake fish are abundant. So daily meals in most of the Kerala households includes any one dish with fish like fish coconut curry, prawns fry, squid fry, crab roast, crab masala and so on.
Crab is my husband's favorite seafood, but for me it is prawns only. So i don't make dish with crab quite often. I make lots of varieties with crab and never prepare the same recipe again and again. But after trying out this recipe, me too was addicted to crab and now i follow this recipe all the time whenever i deal with fresh crabs. If you are making crabs for the first time, then i recommend this recipe.
My husband loves crab roast with gravy but he dislikes seeing the sauteed onion and tomato in the gravy. He was the inspiration behind this special crab (njandu) roast that turns out really perfect.
Crab is a seafood that can increase your immunity. For all crab lovers, its a great information as they can include it in daily meals. This is my own special crab roast. I just cooked the cleaned crab with some spices and then cooked them in the sauteed gravy. When done, i had taken out some gravy from crab roast, dried them separately in a pan, pour it over the roasted crab. This makes this roast dark, thick and the crab gets well coated with all the spices that makes the roast finger licking tasty. So enjoy my special crab roast / crab masala with your loved ones.
You can also check my special recipe Crab coconut curry
Crab -1 kg
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp (marination) + 1 tsp (sauteing)
Kashmir chili powder - 1 tbsp (marination) + 1 tbsp (sauteing)
Coriander powder - 1 tbsp (marination) + 2 tbsp (sauteing)
Onion - 5 nos, big, sliced finely
Tomato - 2 nos, big, sliced finely
Green chilies - 2 nos, make slits
Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
- Marinate the cleaned crab with 1 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tbsp chili powder, 1 tbsp coriander powder and salt.
- Cook it for 10 minutes in a medium flame with closed lid.
- No need of adding water, as the crab will release water once heated.
- Mean while heat oil in a pan / vessel and add ginger garlic paste. Saute it till the raw smell disappears and then add the sliced onion.
- Saute onion in a medium flame till golden and when done add green chilies.
- Saute it for a while and add 1 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tbsp chili powder, 2 tbsp coriander powder, salt . Mix well.
- After few minutes, add sliced tomatoes and cook it until thick consistency.
- And now add the cooked crab and mix well with the gravy.
- Cook for 10 minutes with closed lid and you can see the roast goes watery.
- So take some gravy out and dries it in a separate pan in a high flame for 5 minutes. This thickens and darkens the roast.
- Finally pour it over the roasted crab and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with Dosa, Appam, Rice..etc