Shahi paneer is a rich Indian curry in a thick gravy of cashews, curd and other spices. Shahi paneer is one of the most popular paneer recipes. With its delicate milky flavor, Paneer / cchena can be used in curries and can even for desserts like Rasmalai, Rasgulla recipes etc. It is known as a royal dish for paneer lovers and as in the name the term Shahi means royal. A delicious North Indian curry with Cottage cheese / paneer. Shahi paneer recipe is a preparation of paneer in a thick gravy made of cream, tomato, cashew paste and spices. It tastes yumm when served along with roti, nan, rice, poori. Some of other similar mughlai dishes are kadai paneer, paneer makhani /paneer butter masala, paneer do pyaza, shahi paneer korma, chilli paneer, paneer tikka masala and so on..Here in this recipe you can use butter instead of oil for sauteing. And i have added pureed onion to make this gravy more thick. Try this creamy , aromatic, rich gravy and have a delightful dinner meal. Here is the recipe showing how to make shahi paneer curry / How to cook shahi paneer /gravy / vegetarian side dishes gravy / healthy side dishes / easy vegetable side dishes.
Paneer tomato gravy
Paneer tomato gravy
Paneer / cottage cheese - 1 cup, cubed
Onion - half of one small onion, pureed
Tomato - 1,small , pureed
Asafoetida / kaayam/hing - half a tsp
Paprika - half tsp
Cumin seed - half a tsp
Ginger ,garlic, fennel seed paste - 1 tbsp
Kashmir chili powder - 2 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - half a tsp
Garam masala powder - half a tsp
Fresh cream - 1 tbsp
Curd - 2 tbsp (less sour curd)
Cashew paste - 3 tbsp ,( soak 10 cashews in water for few minutes and then grind well to form a thick paste)
- Slice the home made Paneer into cubes or if you are using store bought, then soak it in salt water for few minutes to make them soft.
- Now heat oil in a wok and once hot shallow fry the paneer until they turn slightly brown. Remove from pan and drain the excess oil using tissue paper. Set aside.
- Then splutter cumin seeds in the same oil .
- Add the onion paste ( pureed onion using a blender). Saute till the water in the onion gets evaporated and the raw smell goes off.
- When done add the ginger garlic fennel seed paste, asafoetida and saute well until the raw smell disappears.
- Now add the tomato puree to it . Let it cook until the oil separates.
- When done, add the spice powders one by one along with some salt. Give a fine mix.
- When the gravy thickens and reduced to half its volume, add curd, fresh cream and cashew paste ( combine them together in a bowl first and then add) mixture to it. Mix well.
- Add half a cup of water along with it and let it boil.
- Finally add the tossed paneer to it and reduce the flame to low.
- Let it cook well for 5 minutes with lid closed until the gravy is slightly thick in consistency. Remove from heat.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with poori, chapati, paratha or etc....
- Shahi paneer tastes best when served hot.