Here am going to share a traditional dish from Kerala cuisine. Sweet and sour pickle / Inji puli / Puli inji is a dark brown keralite curry made with fresh ginger, green chilies, jaggery, tamarind and other spices. A spicy , tangy condiment which is one of the main dishes served in Onam sadya. Without Inji puli kerala feasts (sadhya) is incomplete. Here is the recipe showing how to make puliyinji / Inji puli / Puli inji / sweet and sour sauce with fresh ginger.
Ginger - 3/4 cup or half a cup (skin peeled and finely chopped)
Green chilly - 6 nos
Tamarind - one large lemon sized
Turmeric powder - quarter tsp
Red chili powder - 1 tsp
Jaggery - 2 blocks / cubes
Mustard seed - half tsp
Dried red chili - 1 or 2
- Soak tamarind in one cup of warm water and set aside.
- Heat a pan with 2 tbsp of coconut oil and add finely chopped ginger, curry leaves and green chilies. Toss until it is nicely browned.
- Then add turmeric powder, red chili powder to it and saute until raw smell goes.
- Now press tightly the soaked tamarind with your hands and pour the water to the sauteed mixture. Mix well and let it boil.
- Mash the jaggey cubes well and then add it. Mix well and add salt.(if you don't prefer more sweetness, add less jaggery ).
- Let it cook on a medium flame until it thickens. Stir occasionally.
- When done, off the flame.
- Heat a pan with some oil and splutter mustard seeds, then toss dried red chili and curry leaves. Pour it over the prepared puli inji.
- It will thicken once it is cooled.
- Tasty Injimpuli is ready to serve.