Kerala cuisine offers a wide variety of mutton recipes which are very popular among foodies around the world. Mutton stew come under this category . Mutton stew and appam is a very nice combo, which is my all time favorite. Here is the recipe showing how to make Kerala style mutton stew.
Mutton - 500 g
Potato - 1 , medium sized, cubed, optional
Onion - 2 nos, sliced
Tomato - 1, chopped
Ginger garlic paste - 3 tsp
Fennel seed (powder or crushed) - 1 tsp
Curd - 1 tbsp
Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 2 tsp
Pepper powder - 1 tsp
Green chilies - 4 nos, less hot chilies
Thick coconut milk - 2 cups
Shallots , chopped
- Clean and cut the mutton into small pieces and drain the excess water in mutton well.
- Marinate the mutton with coriander powder, pepper powder, crushed ginger garlic ,fennel seed powder, curd and salt.
- Pressure cook it for 2 whistles without adding water. Set aside.
- Now heat oil in a pan and add green chilies to it.
- Saute for a while and then add sliced onion.
- Saute onion till golden brown and then add chopped tomato.
- Cook for few minutes and add the cooked mutton and cubed potato.
- Mix well and add garam masala powder along with required salt. Let it cook for few minutes with closed lid until the mutton and potato is done.
- Now pour the thick coconut milk and stir well.
- When it starts to boil simmer the flame and cook for few minutes in a very low flame. Do not boil more after adding coconut milk. When done remove from flame.
- Now heat oil a separate pan and fry chopped shallots, curry leaves and pour it over the prepared stew . Mix well.
- Serve with Appam, Chappathi, Ghee rice, Roti..etc