Here am with a one pot meal - Mushroom rice / Mushroom pulao / pilaf / pulao recipe. Mushroom, as i always say is my favorite veggie which i love to add in most of my veg dishes. Mushroom pulao is a very flavorful one pot meal which is a perfect dish for lunch box too. The preparation of this pulao is bit different from regular pulao. Stir fried buttery mushrooms are added only after the rice is 90% done. The use coconut milk (thin) instead of water to cook the pulao makes this pulav more flavorful. Here is the recipe showing how to make easy pulao with mushroom / how to make veg pulao / how to make mushroom rice. Try this and enjoy.
INGREDIENTSBasmati rice / long grain rice - 1 cup
Coconut milk (can add water instead) - 1 3/4 cup thin coconut milk
Mushroom - 10 nos, sliced into 4 piece each
Onion - 1, small, sliced
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Tomato - half of one, finely chopped
Cardamom, cloves (3 nos), cinnamon, bay leaf, star anise - 1 each
Butter - 2 tbsp, melted
Oil / ghee
- Wash and soak the rice for 15 minutes and drain it, set aside.
- Now cut each mushrooms into 4 slices and set aside.
- Heat a pan with butter and toss the sliced mushrooms well in the butter for 2 minutes. Then add chopped tomato, pinch of salt and toss with the mushroom for 1 minute on high flame, set aside.
- In a deep bottomed vessel, heat some ghee / oil. When hot, add cardamom, cloves, star anise, cinnamon, bay leaves and saute for a while till fragrant.
- Then add sliced onion, saute for 2 minutes. Then add ginger garlic paste, saute till the raw smell goes off (just 1 minutes or 2 )
- Add the cleaned and drained basmati rice / long grain rice to it. Mix well. Cook for 5 minutes in a medium flame. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile add the coconut milk ( we took 1 cup of basmati rice. SO WE NEED 1 3/4 CUPS OF WATER (coconut milk)) in another vessel and heat it until warm.
- Now pour this thin warm coconut milk and mix well with the rice.
- Add some salt and chopped coriander leaves, mix well. Cook until the rice is 90% cooked in a medium low flame.
- At this stage, add the tossed mushroom with tomato and let it cook until the water gets evaporated fully.
- When done, open the lid and let it cool completely. Never mix the rice when hot. It makes the rice sticky.
- After 10 minutes mix gently and can add some ghee / butter now (optional) which gives a fine aroma. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Mushroom pulav / pilaf ready. Serve hot with raita or pickles.