Pachadi / Raita is a South Indian salad with curd and coconut which is served as an accompaniment to meals. Here is an Apple Pachadi recipe / Apple raita recipe which is a sweet authentic side dish prepared during Onam sadhya in Gods own country Kerala, India. Some people called it as apple kichadi but both are different. For pachadi , we add yoghurt and coconut mixture. And for kichadi , only yoghurt is used. . Here is the recipe showing how to make Apple pachadi.
INGREDIENTSApple (red) - 1 big,peeled, very finely chopped
Turmeric powder - quarter tsp
Green chilies - 2, slit
Curd - 5 tbsp
Coconut grated - 1 cup
Cumin seed - half tsp
Dried red chili - 1
- Add chopped apple, green chilies,turmeric powder and salt in a quarter cup of water. Mix well and cook until the apple is done and the water got evaporated . Set aside
- Grind together coconut and cumin seed with a little amount of water in a mixer to a fine paste .Transfer it to a bowl.
- Then add curd to the grinder and just grind it for few seconds and mix it with the coconut paste .
- Mix well and now add the cooked apple to it. Again mix well and check for salt.
- Splutter dried red chilly and mustard seed in a heated pan with oil. Then add curry leaves to it.
- Pour it over the apple pachadi / raita..
- Served as a sweet side dish in Kerala sadhya along with rice.