Today's dish is cooked in a tomato based gravy without onion. A lovely ,delicious. finger licking chicken curry without onion. Its pretty easy to make and tastes really good. This is yet another simple chicken curry recipe..a spicy Tomato chicken curry ...Is it possible to have a gravy without using onions? many of my readers asks this question to me when i posted jeera chicken recipe and chicken perett recipe. I have only one single answer. YES..u can make delicious yummy recipes even without onion. I love simple tomato curries and love to experiment with tomatoes. One of my reader requested me to post some No onion No garlic recipes. Some people avoid using onion and garlic in their meals. While some find it difficult to cook without onion and garlic. But trust me...it is the most easiest meal to cook and tastes equally good. Do try out this simple tomato chicken curry . Here is the recipe showing how to cook tomato chicken curry / gravy.
Chicken - 750 g, cut into small pieces
Garlic - 5 cloves
Coriander powder - 2 tbsp
Red chili powder - 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Fennel seed - 1 tsp
Lime juice / vinegar - 1 tsp
For the gravy
Tomato - 2, big sized (or 3 medium sized), sliced, use red ripened tomatoes for this curry
Chili powder - half tsp, for a reddish color only
Shallots - 2 tsp, chopped, for tempering
- Make a fine paste of all those ingredients given under chicken marination in a grinder. Marinate the chicken pieces with this marinade and set aside.
- Now heat a non stick vessel and add oil. When hot, add the thinly sliced tomatoes to it and saute for a while. Close the lid and let it cook well until mushy or oil separates ( it means the oil must float on the top of the gravy) . When done, add chili powder ,salt and give a fine mix. Transfer it to a plate.
- Now to the same vessel, add the marinated chicken and let it cook in a medium flame (no need of adding water and oil). When chicken is 90% done, add the prepared tomato gravy and mix well. Let it cook again for 10 minutes or until oil separates.
- Check for salt and add chopped coriander leaves.
- Heat oil in a pan, saute chopped shallots until golden and then add curry leaves to it. Pour this tempering over the prepared curry.
- Delicious, quick, no onion tomato curry ready.
- Serve along with dosa, puri, roti, or any Indian bread.