Today, let me introduce an exotic dish of Middle east. This is one of the recipes which is requested by many readers of my blog. The cooking method of this arab rice itself is an appetizing one. The best no fail rice recipe for a crowd or a get together. There are various variations in the preparation of this Arabian rice, and am going to share the most common and the simplest method. Even though I tasted this from Arab restaurant for the first time, I enjoyed this aromatic one pot meal more when i prepared it at home. Now I should thank all those readers who made me to cook this aromatic and yummy dish more often. Here the chicken/ beef/ lamb is cooked in the spicy flavorful aromatic gravy and then chicken is separated to toss them in butter, dropping the rice to the gravy instead. The rice will be filled with the flavors from tomato and the kabsa spices.
Kabsa is a mixed rice dish which is regarded as a National dish of Saudi Arabia. But it is often served in countries such as Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Qatar, Oman, United Arab Emirates, Iraq, Kuwait, Bahrain and like so. This dish is popularly known as Machboos in Arab countries. Here the meat is cooked in several ways and one of the common and very popular way of preparing meat is called Mandi. It looks very similar to Indian Biryani too but the use of ghee or butter in kabsa is comparatively less to that of Biryani. So kabsa is a healthy dish. Here is the recipe showing how to make special rice recipe / Flavorful rice recipe / Lunch ideas healthy / quick rice and chicken recipe. Hope you all give it a try. So lets move to the recipe showing how to make chicken kabsa at home.
Other special rice recipes
Chicken - 1 kg, cut into big 8 pieces
Basmati rice - 3 cups
Pepper powder - 1 tsp, optional(for final chicken tossing)
Kabsa masala - 4 tsp, recipe given below
Onion - 5 nos
Tomato - 3 nos
Carrot - 1
Garlic paste - 2 tsp
Dried lemon - 2 nos
Butter / ghee melted - 6 tbsp , can add more or less
Cashews and raisins - as required
- Slice the onion thinly , peel and slice the carrot thinly lengthwise, Chop the tomatoes and make a paste by grinding them in a grinder, Pierce the dried lemon with sharp knife and make few holes. Keep aside ready.
- Heat a non stick vessel with butter or ghee and fry cashews, raisins for 1 minute or until done. When done, transfer it to a bowl.
- To this, add the sliced onion and saute until transparent. Then add garlic paste and saute until raw smell disappears. Add dried lemon, 2 tsp of kabsa masala, tomato paste, salt and mix well. Let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add the chicken pieces along with the remaining 2 tsp kabsa masala, sliced carrot and mix well. Let it cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Then add, 5.5 cups of water ( can pour chicken stock also). Cook until chicken is perfectly cooked. When done, transfer the chicken to a plate and add the washed drained basmati rice to it along with some salt (do not add too much salt).
- Cover and cook until all the water gets dried or until the rice is done on a medium flame.
- Meanwhile toss the chicken in a tawa or frying pan with a tbsp of butter or can bake in oven. I spread some pepper powder and salt mixture over the chicken and tossed in pan(it gives a drooling aroma).
- When both rice and chicken is done, transfer it to serving bowl and combine together. Garnish with fried cashews and raisins.
- Yummy , delicious , aromatic one pot meal ready.
KABSA MASALA RECIPE
Cinnamon - 2 sticks
Cloves - 4 nos
Star anise - 2 nos
Cardamon - 4 nos
Bay leaves - 2 nos
Coriander seeds - 3 tbsp, can use coriander powder (2 tbsp)instead
Black pepper corns- 2 tsp, can use pepper powder (1 tsp)instead
- Dry roast all these ingredients in a medium flame until a fine aroma comes out and they turn dark in color. When done, remove from flame and bring to room temperature. Then grind to a fine powder in a grinder and can store in an air tight container for later use.