Mushrooms are my all time favorite and i love experiments with mushrooms as it is very flexible for me. Here am sharing a kadai / karahi mushroom recipe which is very quick and simple to prepare and yet delicious. This is the same recipe which i adapted from my recipe kadai prawns with baby potato. This is a mildly spiced recipe as i used less hot and pungent dried chilies and can be made spicy , hot depending upon the hot dried red chili used. And i here used freshly powdered kadai masala which i shared the recipe below. You can also use store bought kadai masala powder but you never ever get such an aroma, goodness and flavor of home made spice powder. So lets see how to make kadai mushrooms. Do try and enjoy cooking.
INGREDIENTSMushroom - 250 g, cut each mushrooms into two slices
Tomato - 2 large, sliced
Onion - 1, large, sliced
Ginger - 1 tbsp, crushed
Garlic - 1 tbsp, crushed + 1 tsp julienne
Fenugreek leaves / kasuri methi - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
Kadai masala powder - 2 tbsp( RECIPE GIVEN BELOW)
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp( optional)
KADAI MASALA POWDERDried red chili - 4 nos
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Cinnamon stick - 1 small piece
Cloves - 2 nos
Green cardamom - 1 nos
Pepper - 4 pepper corns
Dry roast all these spices in a medium flame till fragrant. Do not burn them. Once it is cooled, grind it to fine powder. You can make powder in bulk and store it in an air tight container. The above given is the quantity required for this dish only.
- Heat oil in a kadai / wok and when hot add half of the sliced tomato and saute for 3 minutes. When done transfer it to a plate. And puree the remaining half of the sliced tomato and set aside.( You can also puree the whole tomatoes and skip the sauteing process. But sauteing adds a special taste to the gravy.)
- In the same oil saute the sliced mushrooms for 5 minutes or until it gets browned from the edges. When done transfer it to a plate.
- Now add few tsp of oil (if needed) in the kadai and saute onion till translucent. Then add crushed ginger, garlic and tomato puree . Saute for a while or until the raw smell disappears.
- When done, add the sauteed mushrooms and mix well with the onion mixture. Add salt if required. After two minutes add the sauteed tomato along with coriander powder, turmeric powder( optional only), kadai masala powder and salt if required.
- Stir well and cook until the mushrooms are done or until the oil separates.
- Finally add the crushed fenugreek leaves and chopped coriander leaves. Garnish with garlic julienne
- Serve hot with dosa, nan, chappathi etc...