This fried fish recipe of mackerel is ready in minutes. With no marination time, no fuss no muss recipe with just few spices but tastes heavenly. Normally fish fry is a meal containing battered or breaded fried fish. But in southern India, it is something spicy, tangy, crispy and much more combination of flavors. Pan fried recipe of Mackerel fish tastes outstanding than when curried. Indian Mackerel is an important food fish which is commonly used in South and South east Asian cuisine. It is known by different names like Ayala / Aiyla, Kembung , Bangda, Bangude and like so. Fresh Mackerel fried with hot steamed rice is an outstanding meal combo for lunch. I always love simple mackerel recipes with no fuss no muss. Do try this fish fry recipe with Mackerel fish. Here is the recipe showing how to fry fish / recipe for fried fish /fish batter recipe / fish fry batter / fish dinner ideas/ kerala fish fry recipe.
Mackerel Fish - 4 nos, cleaned and make slits
Kashmir chili powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 3 tsp
Vinegar - 2 tbsp
Pepper powder - 1 tsp , can add less
- Add turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder, salt, vinegar and pepper powder in a bowl. Combine very well and make a thick paste. Do not add water. I used to add more coriander powder when the batter is watery (am using home made coriander powder with no other spices, but in store bought they will add raw garam masala and other spices along with raw coriander seed which leaves a pungent taste to coriander powder).
- Now rub this marinade all over the fish with your hand. Also rub inside the slits of mackerel well. Fish must be well coated with the marinade.
- Now heat a pan with 2 tbsp oil (if you need a thick masala fried fish , u must fry them in less oil. Do not fry fish in more oil. )
- When hot, add the curry leaves and make the flame to medium.
- Then place the fish one by one along the coated marinade in the hot oil. Fry both sides until crispy. (flip the fish only when one side is done. )
- Serve along with hot steamed rice and dal curry. Yummilicious!!!