Easy dessert recipes with milk or coconut milk is my all time favorite recipes for a crowd or for a get together parties. I love to make simple desserts but must be very tempting and delicious. Here am sharing with you a drooling and totally healthy dessert recipe using rice flour and coconut milk. Steamed rice balls in coconut milk / Paal kozhukattai / Thengapaal kozhukatta is a very popular South Indian dessert or sweet dumpling with rice flour. It is very similar to Modak recipe. There are many varieties in kozhukattai like Thennai kozhukattai, Thengapaal kozhukattai, savory kozhukattai, ammini kozhukattai and like so. This paal kozhukattai is one of the delicacy that i love to eat on special occasions. This is a never fail recipe of a yummy dessert with coconut milk and i hope all my readers to try this recipe once. Hope you all try this and do let me know how it turned out for you.
For the doughRice powder / rice flour / idiyappam podi - 1 cup
Milk - half a cup
Water - 1 cup
Salt - a pinch
Other ingredientsThick coconut milk - 1 cup
Thin coconut milk - 1 cup
Condensed milk - 1 tbsp , optional, tastes best when added
Sugar - 3 tbsp or more
- Take a non stick pan and add milk + water and allow it to boil. When boils, add salt and make the flame medium low. To this add the rice powder slowly, stirring continuously with the other hand. Stir continuously until the water evaporated and forms a dough. (Same like the preparation of Malabar rice pathiri ).
- Now knead it very well until soft and non sticky(must knead it well when hot and can use little oil to grease your hands). And then make very tiny small balls. Set aside, covered.
- Now prepare the thick coconut milk and thin coconut milk (for more details...check below notes). Boil thin coconut milk + sugar in a vessel and once boiled, add the tiny balls to it. Cook for 5 minutes or until the ball floats on the top in a medium flame . By now, the coconut milk would have become thicker. Add sugar according to your taste and preference.
- Combine the thick coconut milk with condensed milk and pour it to this , mix well.
- Switch off the flame . Do not let it to boil after adding thick coconut milk.
- Keep refrigerated and serve chill.
Thick coconut milk - blend the grated coconut with little warm water in a blender for 1 minute, strain it and take out the thick milk.
Thin coconut milk - blend it again with 1 cup of water in a blender for another 1 minutes, strain it and take out the thin milk.