Nannari sarbath with nannari syrup / Sugandhi syrup is the best refreshing drink during summer and after the long hours of fasting. Add few tsp of nannari syrup, sugar or sugar syrup , lemon juice and some crushed ice is quite enough for this Instant cooler and Thirst quencher. Ramadan is very close and we all will be searching for quick instant recipes as we do not want to spent more time in kitchen. But at the same time, we need something special and delicious recipes too for Ifthar. So don't worry. Prepare this nannari syrup in advance and store in an air tight container and then refrigerate. It will stay fresh for months in refrigerator. Nannari / Sarasparilla / Naruneendi is a wonder herb from nature which is the best coolant in summer. It is very common during hot summer in Kerala, street vendors selling cool drinks like spiced butter milk, nannari sarbath, kuluki sarbath, etc. All these are very good for health only when it is prepared at home. My family love to have this nannari sarbat prepared from nannari root for ifthar. I think this drink is very common in Malabar especially during Ramadan. And do you know the health benefits of this nannari root (Indian sarsaparilla)??..It has got wonderful health benefits. Yes, it is the best body coolant, blood purifier, it prevents urinary infection, prevents constipation, best for digestion. So over all it is best for serving as an Ifthar drink. Do not go for store bought syrup as they will add artificial colors and essence. Do try this at your home. You can get this nannari root from Gandhi gram shops or any Ayurveda medicine shops(country drug shops).
Nannari root - half a cup(50 gm)
Water - 2 cups
- Wash very well and soak nannari root in 2 cups of water for 6 hours or over night. Instead you can crush it using a mortar. But u cannot reuse this root when it is crushed. So i just soaked in water overnight.
- Now boil it very well in a medium flame in the same water you soaked this root.
- Once done, let it cool and then strain the water to a bowl and you can again boil the root in a cup of hot water(if required).
- Home made Nannari syrup is ready. You can also add sugar while boiling. But it is best to add sugar while making nannari sarbath. So i skipped adding sugar to nannari syrup.
- Store in an air tight container and keep refrigerated .Use instantly FOR MAKING NANNARI SARBATH (recipe here).