Today let me share the recipe of the most popular dish in Indian restaurants. A very simple, delicious, authentic, restaurant style butter chicken or murgh makhani recipe. Yet don't know the reason, may be its name or its delicious flavor; butter chicken has managed to find its way around the globe. This buttery, rich, creamy dish do not need any introduction. Indian restaurants in UK, US, Middle eastern countries has this butter chicken recipe showing up on their menu cards and already claimed its fame all over the world. As a North Indian dish , it made its place in every corner of the world and this rich yummiculous dish deserves it. And let me say one thing, Chicken tikka masala and butter chicken are quite different in taste and preparation. But still some people says both looks same. Lets back to the recipe. I had already posted a butter chicken recipe in my blog. recipe here..But both are different in taste. Here am sharing with you how to make restaurant style instant butter chicken with basic butter masala gravy. You can prepare this basic butter masala gravy in advance and keep refrigerated and can use for any veg and non veg dishes like butter chicken, paneer butter masala, gobi makhani, veg makhani and like so. Hope this recipe will be a great helpful for you. Please try out this recipe and do let me know your valuable feedback.
FOR BASIC BUTTER MASALA
you can make basic butter masala ahead of time and keep refrigerated for 3 days. So that you can use it instantly ...Recipe here
Onion - 150 g(2 medium sized), chopped
Tomato - 500 g(4 medium sized), chopped
Cashew nut - 12 nos
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Dried kashmir chili / red chili - 12 nos(less hot and red color giving dried chilies are more preferred( for mildly spiced food lovers). Others who love hot and spicy food, can add accordingly.
Butter - quarter a cup, melted
Kasuri methi - 1 tsp, crushed
Garam masala - 1 tsp
Sugar - 1 tsp
Chicken - 500 g, boneless pieces is preferred, but i used chicken chunks with bones
Curd - 1 tbsp
Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
Red chili powder - 1 tbsp (optional), i used
All purpose flour (maida) - 1 tsp
Fresh cream - 1 tbsp
Chopped coriander leaves - few, chopped
- Marinate the chicken chunks with the above given marinade and let it refrigerated for 1 hour.
- Heat a pressure cooker and add quarter cup of melted butter.
- To this, add onions and cashew nuts. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Now add ginger garlic paste and salt. Cook till the raw flavor is gone.
- When done, add color giving chili(kashmir dried red chilly) or dried red chilly, garam masala powder, tomatoes and mix well. No need of more sauteing.
- Put the lid of the pressure cooker and let it cook for 20 minutes on a low flame (5 whistles). No need of adding water.
- When done, let it cool down and strain out the water to a bowl.
- Then blend the cooked onion and tomato mixture to a fine paste. Again strain it to the same bowl we collected the water. Discard the seeds and peels of tomato after straining completely.
- Now cook this strained mixture for about 15 minutes on a low flame, stirring occasionally. When done, add salt, sugar and crushed kasuri methi. Mix well. Switch off the flame, once it comes to boil after adding these ingredients.
- Cool it and store in a small air tight container in refrigerator. You can use this Makhani gravy or basic butter masala gravy in any veg or non veg dishes.
- Heat butter in a pan and cook the marinated chicken pieces until tender. Do not fry the chicken until crispy.
- Now add the fried chicken to the prepared makhani gravy or butter masala gravy and let it cook for 5 minutes in a medium flame.
- Now add the fresh cream and mix well. Cook for a minute and then switch of the flame. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Delicious instant restaurant style butter chicken ready. Serve along with poratta, chappathi, butter nan, rotti etc.