A royal and popular rice dish which is very common in special occasions especially in Kerala, India. This shrimp recipe tastes distinct when compared to other shrimp recipes. The blending of rice with shrimp masala is quite easy and quick when compared to other biryani recipes.
You might also like Malabar chicken biryani
Hyderabadi chicken biryani
Mutton dum biryani
FOR PRAWN MARINATION....
Prawn -500g King sized prawnsKashmiri chili powder-2 tsp
Coriander powder -1 tsp
Turmeric powder -half tsp
FOR THE MASALA...
Onion -3 nos sliced
Tomato - 2, small, sliced
Green chili -6 nos
Ginger garlic paste -1 tbsp
Pepper powder - 1 tsp
Garam masala -1 tsp
Lemon juice -1 tbsp
FOR THE RICE
Biriyani rice -500 g
Chopped carrot -half of a carrot
Cinnamon -4 nos
Cardamom -5 nos
Cloves -4 nos
Lemon juice -1 tsp
- First clean and marinate the prawns with the above all ingredients and keep it aside for half an hour.
- Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the prawns . Stir them frequently.
- When done keep it aside.
- Now the next step is boiling the rice . So take a vessel and boil water (double the amount of rice).
- Put chopped carrot, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves .
- When the water starts boiling, put some curry leaves and add enough salt.
- Now put the cleaned rice to it .
- When it starts boiling , add lemon juice and 1 tbsp oil to it and close the lid.
- Cook till the rice is half done.
- Now drain the water in the rice and keep it aside.
- Now we need to prepare the masala for biriyani . So take a vessel and heat the same oil we fried the prawns.
- Add sliced onion ,green chili, ginger garlic paste and saute well till the onion turns translucent.
- Then add chopped tomatoes and pepper powder. Cook unil the gravy thickens.
- Now add the shallow fried prawn along with lemon juice and garammasala. Saute well and cook for a while in a low flame.
- Then add chopped mint leaves and coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Now drop some boiled rice over the masala, then spread chopped coriander leaves and drops of ghee. Again layer the rice and repeat it.
- Finally garnish with coriander leaves and spread some ghee evenly.
- Close the lid tightly .
- Allow it to cook in very low flame for 15 mins and our prawns biryani is ready.
- While serving garnish with fried cashews ,raisins and onion.