India especially in Kerala, fish is the staple food. A lunch meal is incomplete without a fish recipe. Here is a delectable ayala roast / mackerel roast in banana leaf wrap. This recipe for fish roast is a kerala style fish recipe with crushed green pepper corns (pacha kurumulak chathachath). A lovely spicy serving of roasted fish from South india which is absolutely delicious. This fish roast pairs best with hot steamed rice.
Meen roast / fish roast with pacha kurumulak chathachath is the traditional kerala style fish roast in banana leaf . This fish recipe is popularly known as fish pollichath. Karimeen pollichath (pearl spot fish pollichath) is the famous kuttanadan fish recipe which is known around the world. Here am with yet another fish pollichath or fish roast with mackerel fish where freshly ground green pepper corns is used as a special ingredients.
Mackerel / Ayala - 1, big, make slits
Coconut oil / veg oil
For fish marination
Turmeric powder - quarter tsp
Chili powder - half tsp
Vinegar / lemon juice - 1 tsp
For fish roasting
Tomato - 1, big, ripe
Green pepper corns / pacha kurumulak - 2 tbsp
Garlic cloves - 3 cloves, big
Kashmir chili powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - half tsp
- Clean the fish and dry it well. Make slits in fish and marinate the fish with all the ingredients given under 'for marination'. Keep refrigerated for 1 hour (do not skip).
- Meanwhile make the tomato roast. Heat a wok with 2 tbsp of oil. Add the tomato slice, salt and saute well. Cover and cook over a medium flame until mushy.
- Crush the green pepper corns and garlic cloves well or can coarse grind it. Add it to the sauteed tomato and stir well until raw smell of garlic disappears(do not skip).
- Then add chili powder and turmeric powder. Combine well. To this add half a cup of water and let it cook until oil separates. Remove from flame.
- Heat oil in a pan for shallow frying. Fry the marinated fish until both sides are done. Be careful, do not fry the fish until crispy. Transfer to a plate.Wipe out the excess oil in the pan.
- Now take a banana leaf and slightly heat the banana leaf. This helps to fold the leaf without breaking.
- Heat the same pan with 1 tsp of oil. Grease the leaf with some coconut oil and place half of the tomato roast on the leaf. Now place the half fried fish and top the remaining tomato roast over the fish.
- Fold the banana leaf and cook with lid covered. Make the flame to medium low. Cook for 5 minutes. Flip the wrap and again cook for 5 minutes.
- When done, serve hot along with hot steamed rice.