Kolhapuri chicken curry is a spicy aromatic chicken curry recipe where chicken is cooked in a flavorful thick spiced gravy until soft and tender. Kolhapuri masala uses those spices which is used in the preparation of indian curry recipes. This chicken dish is from the city of Kolhapur in Maharashtra. Trust me, this chicken dish will never let you done. Each and every chicken recipes that i try in my kitchen gives a feel of excitement. This chicken curry is an ultimate crowd pleaser. Hope you all love this best chicken curry recipe.
Chicken - 750 g, cut into medium sized pieces
Tomato puree - of 2 ripe tomatoes
Kashmir chili powder - 1 tbsp (can add more or less)
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
For chicken marination
Kashmir chilli powder - 1 tbsp (can add more or less)
Turmeric powder - half tbsp
Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste (add less as we are adding salt in the gravy)
To saute and grind
Pepper corns - 2 tsp
Bay leaf - 1
Garlic - 3 cloves
Coriander seeds - 3 tbsp
Cloves - 3 nos
Green cardamom - 3 nos
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
White sesame seeds - 1 tbsp
Onion - 2 medium sized onion, sliced
- Make a medium sized chicken pieces and wash them thoroughly. Drain the excess water and set aside.
- Now marinate the chicken with all the ingredients mentioned under for marination and refrigerate it for 2 hours.( I just kept them only until my gravy is ready)
- Make tomato puree by adding two ripe tomatoes chopped in a grinder and then grind it until smooth paste. (do not add water).
- Meanwhile we can start preparing the gravy. For that, heat a nonstick wok with oil ( 3 tbsp or more).
- First we can saute the ingredients mentioned under ' to saute and grind'. Add pepper corns, bay leaf, garlic, coriander seeds, cloves, green cardamom, cumin seeds, sesame seeds and toss it for a while. Then add the sliced onion and saute until slight golden. When done, transfer it to a plate and let it set aside to cool. Once cooled, grind it to a smooth paste without adding water.
- Now heat the same wok with 3 tbsp of oil. To this, pour in the onion puree. Let it cook for two minutes and then add tomato puree. Let it cook for another few minutes. Then add, turmeric powder and chili powder. Check for salt. Mix well and cook it over a low flame for two minutes. Then add half a cup of water and cook it well until oil floats on the top. (over a medium flame )
- Heat a separate non stick frying pan with 1 tbsp of oil. Shallow fry the marinated chicken both sides for 5 minutes.
- Now add the shallow fried chicken pieces to this prepared onion tomato gravy.
- Combine very well and cook it covered until chicken is well coated in the gravy or until 20 minutes over a medium low flame.
- When done serve hot along with chapati, paratha or ghee rice. Irresistible dish.