Here is my yet another fried fish variety. This is a special kerala style fish fry recipe with the favorite fish of Keralites. Karimeen fish fry is a spicy fish delicacy which is known for its aromatic flavor. This fish can be grilled in banana leaf, pan fry fish, or cooked in a spicy tangy gravy. For sure, each house holds have their own variation in preparing a fish fry. Though the fish fry is very simple and delicious, marination of fish is the vital part in preparing the fish fry. You can choose your favorite fish marinade but each slices must be well marinated before frying. Always use fresh fish for best result. I always prefer shallow frying as the best way to fry fish. And the best oil for frying fish is coconut oil which gives an aromatic inviting flavor to the dish.
Pearl spot fish, popularly known as Karimeen is a variety of fish which is considered as one of the authentic dishes of Kerala state. Karimeen is very commonly found in backwaters of Kerala. Karimeen curry / karimeen pollichath / karimeen fry is very famous among tourists who visits Kerala, the South Indian state. Apart fro the taste , this fish has got some nutritional benefits too. This fish is low in fat and high in protein. This fish is very rich in fatty acids which can lower blood cholesterol. Pearl spot fish is high in demand for its delicious taste and nutritional benefits. Fish fry in banana leaf, spicy fish curry, Fish curry with coconut milk, Fish fry are the most popular recipes with karimeen fish. There are different varieties of fish fry like Kerala fish fry, chettinad fish fry, besan fish fry, crispy fried fish, leaf fish, deep fried fish, semolina fish fry and like so. So lets see how to fry pearl spot fish / karimeen porichath / karimeen varuthath / karimeen fry / best fried fish /fry fish with flour /
Other fish fry recipes
Pearl spot (karimeen) - 4 nos, medium sized (or any fish)
Oil - for frying
Kashmir Chili powder - 2 tbsp, levelled
Coriander powder - 1 tbsp, levelled
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Pepper powder - 1 tsp
Garlic - 3 cloves
Tomato - half of a big tomato, chopped
Shallots - 5 nos
Cornflour - 2 tbsp
Salt - as required
Vinegar - 2 tsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
- Clean and wash the pearl spot fish well with water. (If required you can add a tablespoon of vinegar while washing). Make slits on both sides of the fish. Drain the water and set aside.
- Grind together all the ingredients given under 'for grinding' along with little water and make a fine smooth paste .Do not add more water. Make a thick paste. (cornflour in this marinade gives the fish a crispy crust, so do not skip it).
- Marinate the fish with this marinade well and refrigerate it for half an hour. Preferably for 2 hours. Marinate inside the stomach cavity and slits well.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan. Add some curry leaves and then shallow fry the marinated fish until crispy and golden over a medium flame. Flip the fish only after one side is done.
- When done, remove it from oil and serve hot.
NOTE.. Here i used kashmir chili powder which is less hot but gives fine red color. You can use normal red chili powder instead if so, add less for those who do not prefer hot and spicy dish.