Hi foodies..It is quite a long i shared some chicken recipes in my blog. So here am with a popular fried chicken recipe - Korean fried chicken, otherwise called KFC. This is a crispy crunchy fried chicken which is well coated with a sweet, sour, spicy sauce that gives a distinct finger licking taste. For those who are much passionate about chicken recipes, especially fried chicken dish...this is a must try recipe and i strongly advise you to try this recipe once. Fried chicken is a dish consisting of chicken pieces which have been floured, deep fried or pressure fried. The crispy well seasoned skin is the hallmark of a perfect fried chicken. Isn't it? A perfect fried chicken must have a juicy tender meat with deep chicken flavor and a spicy crisp coating. Even though, some take out fried chicken will not give enough satisfaction. But here, every bite is bursting with juicy flavor of chicken. Kentucky fried chicken is my favorite fried chicken. Still i must say, this is totally distinct in taste and flavor. A no fail must try recipe.
This time i thought of posting some popular and distinct flavors around the world. Hoping to share more recipes which is quick and less messy. More over, i love to cook with less budget ingredients so that we all can try the same. Right? So here is the recipe showing how to make the best fried chicken / deep fried chicken /chicken fried chicken / crispy fried chicken /recipe for korean chicken /sesame chicken recipe.
Korean cuisine / Korean food is largely based on rice, veggies and meat. Korean fried chicken / seasoned chicken is a fried chicken dish prepared in Korean style which is served as a fast food in korean restaurant or as an after meal snack in Korea. It differs from typical American fried chicken by being fried twice. This makes the skin more crunchy and less greasy. And they uses younger chicken or small chicken which results in more tender meat. It is called 'Yangnyeom tongdak' , where yangnyeom means seasonings and tongdak means a whole chicken. But in most of the recipes, it is advised to use chunks of chicken for best result. To get the authentic taste you must use corn syrup / korean rice syrup, ketchup (tomato and red chilli) which are essential. Do not ever skip double frying method(frying the chicken twice) which makes this dish soft and crispy for hours after cooking.
Recipe courtesy - Maangchis real Korean cooking.
Chicken chunks with skin - 10 pieces
Pepper powder - half tsp
Kosher Salt / salt - half tsp
Corn oil / veg oil for deep frying
FOR COATING CHICKEN
Corn flour / corn starch - half a cup
All purpose flour / maida - quarter a cup
Rice flour - quarter a cup
Baking powder - 1 tsp
Egg - 1, large
FOR THE SAUCE
Garlic cloves - 3 nos, minced
Tomato ketchup - 1/3 cup (6 tbsp)
Corn syrup or rice syrup - 1/3 cup (6 tbsp)
Korean Red hot chili paste or red chili sauce - 1/4 cup (4 tbsp)
White vinegar or apple cider vinegar - 1 tbsp
Sesame seed for garnishing
- Wash the chicken chunks with skin in cold water and make small slits in each chicken chunks. Pat dry and set aside.
- To this, add salt and pepper powder. Combine very well and let it rest for 30 minutes. (Always be careful while adding salt. Try to add less salt than required).
- When done, heat oil in a deep non stick pot over a medium high heat. Meanwhile, add the cornflour, rice flour, all purpose flour, baking powder and egg one by one to the chicken. Mix well with your hand until chicken is well coated. If required, you can add a teaspoon of water to make the batter wet. (no need of mixing everything in a separate bowl, add directly to the chicken).
- Once the oil is hot (while dipping the chicken pieces in the oil, if it bubbles.. then the oil is at right temperature), add the chicken pieces in batches. Fry until crunchy, turning the chicken few times. It will take around 10 - 12 minutes.
- Transfer to a strainer to drain. Continue the same with the remaining batches. (As it sits, it will become less crunchy. Don't be panic, we are going for a double frying method. That is, frying again for a couple of minute before adding the fried chicken to the sauce. This makes the chicken crispy and crunchy for hours after cooking.)
- While frying second batch, you can prepare the sauce.
- Heat a large heavy pan over a medium heat. Add 1 tbsp of oil and saute for a while. To this, add tomato ketchup, red chilli paste (i combine ketchup and chili sauce in a separate bowl before adding), corn syrup and vinegar . Turn the heat down to low and cook until the sauce bubbles and become shiny (5 to 7 minutes).... (Do not skip corn syrup or sauce which gives the real flavor and texture).
- When chicken is double fried, drain it and add it to the sauce. Stir until chicken is well coated.
- Serve hot and garnish with sesame seeds.