Carrot pola is a very popular Malabar special sweet which resembles like a cake and so it also named as carrot egg cake made on stove top. I just love to make pola every time as it is a very quick one pot meal. No mess yet a yummy kids friendly recipe . You can make Apple pola, Dates pola, Bread pola following the same recipe. This sweet is a common Ramadan / Ifthar dish which is prepared with carrot and eggs. The cooked carrot , egg, milk powder, sugar, condensed milk are pureed together in a blender and then poured into a sauce pan, garnished with nuts and cooked over a low flame until it is set. As eggs and carrots are good for kids, this carrot egg cake will be a good sweet treat for toddlers and kids. For me, i love to have this for brunch. A lovely yummy treat. Here is the recipe showing how to make carrot pola / flourless cake recipe /carrot dessert recipes / carrot dessert recipes /easy carrot recipes / carrot kums / toddlers recipes.
Carrot - 3 nos, medium sized, roughly chopped
Egg - 5 nos, (do not add less)
Milk powder - 4 tbsp
Condensed milk - 4 tbsp
Cardamom powder - quarter tsp, optional
Sugar - 5 tbsp (can add less for less sweetness)
Ghee - 2 tbsp
Nuts and raisins for garnishing
- Boil some water (1 small cup) and add the roughly chopped carrots to it. Cover it and cook well.
- When done, drain the water and transfer the cooked carrot into a blender. (This is optional only, mostly people used to grind the uncooked carrot along with the other ingredients).
- To this, add eggs, milk powder, sugar, condensed milk, cardamom powder (optional) and blend them well. Mix it with a spoon. (you can also add few teaspoon of maida / all purpose flour along with these ingredients).
- Now heat a nonstick round pan with ghee. Fry nuts (i used almonds only) and raisins. When done, transfer it to a plate.
- Then pour the prepared carrot mixture to the pan with left over ghee.
- Cover it and cook for 5 minutes in a low flame. Now open the lid and spread the fried nuts and raisins.
- Again cover and cook over a low flame for 20 - 25 minutes. Check occasionally.
- When the top of the carrot pola is done, flip it into a greased pan carefully.
- Cook for 2 minutes, and transfer to a plate (keep the plate covered over the pan and then flip.)
- Once cooled, slice it.
- You will not get a perfect slice once it is hot.
- Tasty, healthy carrot pudding / carrot pola / carrot kums ready. Toddlers will love this for sure. Do try this healthy toddlers sweet recipe.
(If you want to cut short the eggs, you can try this with 3 eggs and must add 3 tbsp of all purpose flour too while grinding. )