Hummus is a Middle eastern dish that is very popular throughout the world. Hummus is made of cooked chickpeas / garbanzo beans which is blended with Tahini sauce, minced garlic, lemon juice, salt and then served with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of paprika. Thus made creamy and tangy hummus is used as a dipping sauce or as a spread for bread, sandwich and wraps. Some use this dipping sauce hummus as an accompaniment to common dishes and meals while some serve it as an appetizers or snacks. Is Hummus healthy? Yes, of course..as it is made out of healthy ingredients, eating hummus is healthy for you. Lets have a look at hummus nutrition. The main ingredient in hummus is chickpeas, which is rich in fiber. A perfect snacking dip for weight management. Regular consumption of hummus (in moderate amounts) can increase the antioxidants in our body to fight against free radicals. Hummus is considered as a complex carbohydrate that provides the body with long lasting energy. In short, hummus is beneficial to over all health of our body. Here is the recipe showing how to make hummus at home / recipe for hummus /homemade hummus recipe / hummus dip / chickpea hummus. Stay healthy.
You might also like
Chickpeas / Chana - 1.5 cup cooked, drained (250 g)
(you can use a canned chickpeas instead, If you do not want to go with soaking and cooking)
Lemon juice - quarter a cup (60 ml)
Garlic - 2 cloves, minced or crushed
Water - 3 tbsp
Olive oil - for garnishing
- Prepare the Tahini paste and set aside.
- Now open the canned chickpeas, drain and rinse the chickpeas if you are using chickpeas canned for this recipe. OR If you are using raw chickpeas, wash and soak them for 4 hours, then pressure cook it for 2 whistles, drain it and set aside.
- Mince the garlic clove in the small jar of the blender and set aside.
- Lets start making hummus.
- Now take a blender and add in chickpeas, Tahini, minced garlic, lemon juice, salt and give a quick blend.
- Now add water required and blend it until smooth.
- Transfer it to a bowl and drizzle in olive oil. You can also use a sprinkle of paprika too for garnishing.
- Serve along with pita bread, grilled chicken or charcoal chicken...Yummy.