One of my yummilicious Spicy shrimp recipes which is cooked in banana leaf. This is the perfect way to enjoy the flavor of roasted Shrimps / prawns , i must say. Cooking prawns in banana leaf / banaba leaf is the yet another delicious dish from Malabar cuisine. In Southern part of India, this dish is named as Prawns kizhi / chemmeen kizhi / konju kizhi / prawns pollichath / chemmeen pollichath . A Kizhi means a pouch in english and here the cooked prawns with the tangy gravy is wrapped in a banana leaf which looks like a pouch / kizhi. Banana leaves impart a fine aroma to the food that is cooked in or served in them. These leafs are not themselves eaten and are discarded after the use. Besides adding flavor to the dish, cooking with banana leaves keeps the juices in and protect the dish from burning. So here is an healthy easy shrimp recipes. Lets see how to make seafood recipes with banana leaf / yummy shrimp dishes /shrimp recipes easy /shrimp recipes healthy / shrimp dinner recipes / Prawns kizhi / konju kizhi.
You might also like Fish in banana leaf / fish pollichath
Prawns / Shrimps - 10 - 15 nos,
Onion - 1 medium sized, chopped very finely
Green chilies - 2 nos, chopped
Ginger - 1 tsp, chopped finely
Garlic - 1 tbsp, chopped finely
Tomato - 2 small sized, chopped very finely
Kashmir chili powder - 1 tbsp, can add less for less hot
Turmeric powder - half tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
Fenugreek seed - half tbsp
Mustard seeds - half tsp
Banana leaf for making a pouch
FOR COARSE GRINDING
Coconut grated - half a cup
Dried red chili - 2 nos + half tsp kashmir chili powder
Shallots - 3 nos
- Wash and clean the prawns / shrimps well. Marinate it with a pinch of turmeric powder, lemon juice and salt. Set aside. (If you are using jumbo prawns/ shrimps, then cook it until half done along with this marinade.)
- Coarse the coconut chili mixture and set aside. Do not add water while grinding.
- Heat a non stick with 2 tablespoon of coconut oil. Splutter mustard seed. Then add chopped onion, chilies, garlic, ginger one after the other. Saute until the onion turns slightly golden. Now add curry leaves.
- When done, add the finely chopped tomatoes and saute until mushy.
- Then add the chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, fennel seed and salt . Cook until the oil separates and floats on the top.
- When done, add the marinated prawns and cook until prawn is 90 % done. Then add the coarse grinned coconut chili mixture or condiment and saute for a minute. Check for salt and Switch off the flame.
MAKING OF PRAWN KIZHI / PRAWNS POUCH
- Take a banana leaf and heat gently on fire to prevent for tearing. As i didn't get big piece of banana leaf, i used 3 small pieces for making one kizhi / pouch. Else you can use two medium sized leaf to make a kizhi.(keeping an additional leaf below the main leaf prevents the breakage of leaf while frying.
- Spread a tsp of coconut oil over the banana leaf and keep half of the prepared prawn masala over it in the center . Top it with curry leaves and make a kizhi. (hold the edges of the banana leaf together so that the masala will stay at the center of the leaf which looks like a pouch or kizhi. Tie the top of the banana leaf with a thread or with fibre from the banana stem or even with a slice of leaf itself.
- Repeat the same with the remaining prawn masala.
- Now heat a pan with 2 teaspoon of oil and place the kizhi or prepared pouch over it . Cover it with a lid and let it cook over a medium low flame for 5-8 minutes.
- When done, enjoy the yummy flavor of prawns cooked in banana leaf along with hot steamed rice, chappathi, paratha.