Am not a big fan of chicken liver recipes. But this is my hubby's all time favorites. As some of my readers suggested me to include more recipes with Chicken liver, i started liking the same. So here am with a spicy and delicious roasted chicken livers where all the spiciness is from freshly ground pepper. More over this recipe calls for simple ingredients only. Like my hubby, some people crave for fried chicken livers. This chicken liver pepper fry is delightful and pairs best with steamed rice. Those chicken liver lovers will surely finish this off in one sitting. Hope you all liked this nadan kerala style chicken liver pepper fry (nadan karal olarthiyath).
Chicken liver - 500 g, wash well and drain the excess water
Onion - 2 nos, small, sliced
Green chillies - 2 nos, chopped, i used red chilies
Tomato - 2 ,small, sliced
Ginger chopped -2 tbsp
Fennel seed powder(perum jeerakam) -1 tsp
Turmeric powder -half tsp
Coriander powder -2 tsp
Red chilli powder -1 tsp
Pepper powder -1 tbsp + half tsp (add finally)
Shallots - 2 nos, chopped
Oil (preferably coconut oil)
- Heat oil (preferably coconut oil) in a non stick wok. When hot, add chopped ginger and chopped red chilies to it.
- Saute for a while and then add fennel seed powder(perum jeerakam powder). Mix well.
- Now add sliced onion and saute till onion turns golden and soft.
- Next add the sliced tomato and cook until mushy.
- To this, add the chicken liver (well drained) along with turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilli powder, pepper powder and salt.
- Combine very well and close the lid.
- Cook in a medium flame for about 7 -10 minutes. Do not add water.
- Stir occasionally. When done switch off the flame.
- Now for seasoning, heat oil in a frying pan and fry chopped small onions(shallots). When done, add the cooked chicken liver along with the thick gravy.
- Cook until the liver get fried well. Saute well occasionally.
- Finally when done, add half a tsp of pepper powder and toss very well for 2 minutes over a high flame.
- Now you can see the gravy becomes completely dry and chicken liver will be well coated with this pepper gravy. Remove from flame.
- Garnish with some chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot along with rice, bread etc.