Lets have look on a Mangalorean delicasy...Chicken ghee roast. Mangalorean recipes are very famous for its authentic spices and taste. Mangalorean cuisine is a collective name given to the cuisine of tulu nadu region of India which comprises cuisines like udupi as well as cuisine of other mangalorean communities. Udupi recipes and konkani recipes are very popular for many veg recipes. Chicken ghee roast, prawn ghee roast, tawa fish fry are some of the must try recipes that you can find in almost every Mangalore restaurant menu.
The making of this yummy appetizing chicken dish is quite simple. Roasting a chicken using Dry roasted spices and clarified butter makes this dish hot and tempting. You can adjust the spice level by cutting down the red chilies. This roast chicken / chicken roast is my second try on mangalorean recipe after Mutton ghee roast recipe...And do remember not to skip or replace clarified butter or ghee in this chicken recipe. It is that flavor that gives this dish a distinct flavor. Another easy lunch menu ideas that is going to be a hit in your kitchen, Trust me,,,its a lip smacking chicken roast recipe. Do try this ghee roast chicken and rice combo for this weekend lunch and enjoy...
Chicken - 500 g, bite sized pieces
Clarified butter / ghee - 5 tbsp
Onion - finely chopped, 1, small
Jaggery - 1 tbsp (or sugar)
TO DRY ROAST
Cumin seed - half tsp
Fennel seed - half tsp
Pepper corns - 1 tsp
Coriander seed - 1 tbsp
Dried red chili - 5 nos, can add less to cut down spice level
Cinnamon stick ,cloves - 2 each (optional)
Curd - 2 tbsp
Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
Kashmir chili powder - 1 tbsp ( for the red color only)
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Ginger - a small piece
Garlic - 5 cloves
DETAILED PICS BELOW...
- Dry roast the ingredients given under' to dry roast' over a low flame for 2 minutes. Saute continuously. Do not burn the spices. When done, allow it to cool. ( As my coriander powder and pepper powder is dry roasted powders, i added them directly along with grinding ingredients.)
- Now grind these dry roasted spices along with curd, lemon juice, kashmir chili powder (do not use red chili powder), turmeric powder, ginger and garlic to a fine smooth paste.
- Marinate the washed chicken pieces with this marinade and salt . Set it aside for an hour.
- Now heat ghee / butter in a pan and saute the finely chopped onion well for few minutes. Now place the marinated chicken pieces along with the marinade. Fry it until the gravy becomes thick. When done add jaggery / sugar to it and give a fine stir.
- Cook until all the chicken pieces is well coated with the thick masala.
- When done garnish with curry leaves and serve hot with steamed rice or ghee rice.