A simple healthy Tapioca breakfast recipe is a lovely morning treat. Right? Here am sharing with you an easy kerala style tapioca recipe. Tapioca mashed / tapioca udachath / kappa puzhukku is a very popular Kerala dish which is served along with fish curry or beef curry. Though tapioca recipes are tasty and healthy, it is a highly starchy food like potato and so is advised to add more garlic to avoid gastric problems.
Some of other recipes for tapioca are sugar free tapioca pudding recipe, Gluten free tapioca pudding recipe, Tapioca meat balls, Tapioca biryani, Tapioca with beef, Small pearl tapioca recipes and so on. Here am sharing with you a lovely tapioca recipe which is very popular and common in Kerala as a breakfast or tea time snack. So do try this mashed tapioca with coconut / kappa puzhukku recipe.
INGREDIENTSTapioca / Kappa / Yucca root - 1 kg, thick skin removed and chopped into bite size cubes
Shallots - 5 nos, sliced
Green chilly - 3 nos, chopped
Shredded coconut - 1 cup
Garlic - 2 cloves, crushed
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Cumin seed - quarter tsp
Mustard seed - quarter tsp
Dried red chilly for seasoning
- In a pressure cooker, add the chopped and washed tapioca along with some water(so that tapioca is fully immersed in water or must be little more than the level of tapioca). Add salt and a pinch of turmeric powder along with tapioca and boil / cook for a whistle (10 minutes) over a medium low flame. Switch off the flame after a whistle and let it stand for 5 minutes. Cooking time will vary depending on the tapioca . Release the pressure and drain the excess water from cooked tapioca.
- Meanwhile, grind together coconut, green chilies, cumin seed, turmeric powder, garlic, shallots, salt coarsely.
- Once the tapioca is cooked and the excess water has been drained off, mash it gently and drop the ground mixture. Combine well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and splutter mustard seed and fry curry leaves, dried red chilly . Add this to the prepared tapioca mixture.
- Serve hot with Red hot fish curry / Coconut chutney / Spicy beef curry.