I love cooking squid recipes in my kitchen though the preparation couldn't be easier. Calamari recipe / fried calamari recipes are very popular especially among Keralites in gulf countries. My love for sea food is so immense. For those of you who love eating spicy seafood especially fried calamari recipe, this dish is a must try. This is one of my experiments with baby squid. An absolutely succulent squid recipes ever, trust me. I often cook the same fried squid rings recipe, grilled calamari recipe or stuffed calamari recipe whenever i deal with fresh baby squid ( canned squid / frozen baby squid tastes good but texture seems gummy and not tender). But this time i just need something special with these lovely fresh baby squid and so i skipped making squid rings and instead, roasted the whole baby squids. The end result is as delicious as it is visually impressive. So here it is.....the recipe for fried calamari / baby squid roasted recipe. Enjoy!!!!!!!!
Baby squid / baby calamari / kanava - 500 g
Tomato - 2 nos, chopped
Onion - 1,small, chopped finely, can use shallots chopped instead
Garlic paste - 2 tbsp
Coriander powder - 4 tsp
Kashmir chili powder - 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Pepper powder - 1 tsp
Dried red chili for garnishing
- Clean the skin of the baby squid gently and remove the head slowly, emptying the tube. Wash well and keep it aside. (Remember...do not cut into rings).
- Now take a big bowl and mix in chopped tomato,onion, garlic paste, turmeric powder, kashmir chili powder, coriander powder, salt and curry leaves.
- Crush well with your hand and make a thick marinade.
- Now add the baby squid to it and mix well.
- Cook it in a non stick pan until the gravy becomes thick( for 15 minutes,as we are cooking the whole squid without cutting). No need of adding water.
- When done, switch off the flame.
- Now heat a pan and pour few tbsp of oil(preferably coconut oil).
- When hot, put the prepared squid gravy to this hot oil along with curry leaves and stir well.
- Fry until all the water content dries out .Finally add pepper powder and check for salt.
- Garnish with fried dried red chili and tomato slices(optional).
- Serve hot.