Want to try something new? do try this recipe. Fish fried in Pumpkin leaf (mathan ila). Its drooling flavor. The seasoning for this fish fry is quite simple but i must say, it tastes different with the aromatic flavor of pumpkin leaf. Some are crazy for fish and they used to make yummy fish recipes daily. As fish are good source of vitamins and minerals, a healthy diet must include fish at least twice a week.This fish fry recipe will surely blow your mind away.
Pumpkin leaves stir fry recipe is a very popular Kerala cuisine. Pumpkin leaves recipes are very popular in South India and of course around the world.Kerala cooking recipes include different varieties of thoran (stir fried recipes) with leaves. These healthy veg recipes are a good source of different types of vitamins, minerals and rich in anti - oxidants which helps to slow down ageing process. This stir fry veggies also helps to eliminate the free radicals which are responsible for cancerous growth. So friends, try to include such leaves in your diet and stay healthy.. Here is the recipe showing how to fry fish in pumpkin leaf. Hope you all enjoyed this recipe.
Fish - 2 nos(500 g), i used whole sheri fish ( or can use any fish and can cut into pieces)
Pumpkin leaf - 3 nos or more, tender leaf
Oil for shallow frying
Kashmir chili powder - 2 tsp (it is less hot but gives fine red color, OR instead u can use 1 tsp red chili powder ).
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Pepper powder - 1 tsp
Tomato - half of one, chopped
Coriander powder - 2 tsp
Garlic - 3 cloves
Vinegar - 2 tbsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
- Clean the fish well and make slits with knife all over the body. Set aside.
- Wash the pumpkin leaves with water and set aside.
- Grind all the ingredients under marination to a fine paste along with 1 tbsp of oil and marinate the fish with that marinade. Let it set aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat few tbsp( 2 tbsp) of oil in a frying pan and when hot switch off the flame.
- Place the pumpkin leaves over the hot oil and grease the top of the leaf with oil and above which keep the marinated fish. Now switch on the flame.
- Make the flame to medium low and shallow fry both sides. If you have more pumpkin leaves, you can also wrap the fish in leaf and fry. It is really delicious to eat the cooked leaf along with the fish.
- Be careful while flipping the fish. Garnish with coriander leaves and curry leaves.
- Enjoy this healthy fish fry recipe with steamed rice.