I love crispy healthy dosa " my all time favorite''. No need of a great explanation for this Indian breakfast /snack / tiffin . Masala dosa is a stuffed dosa with potato filling. Various varities of masala dosa recipes can be seen in many Indian restaurants and abroad too. It is the very common street food today. This breakfast dish contains no saturated fats or sugar. So lets have this spicy delicious masala dosa today.
South Indian vegetarian breakfast recipes are very popular around the world. Dosha / Dosa / Dosai is a form of crepe made from mixture of rice and urad dal which is the common Indian breakfast food. This vegan breakfast is usually served along with hot sambhar and different types of chutney. Dosa is indigenous to South india and is their main dinner ideas / breakfast ideas . Last time when i was at my home(India) i had gone for a food fest, with hundreds of dosa varieties...How yummy and stunning experience it was!!!!!!
I always search for dosa restaurant while travelling. Mainly for udupi restaurant / cafe, for having the best masala dosa. Though not perfect to that level, this home made version of masala dosa batter matched the taste well indeed. Making of dosa batter does require more time and hence it is not an instant breakfast recipe but its heavenly delicious. You can also use instant batter available in most of the indian stores. So get ready to have a delightful breakfast with home made masala dosa. Enjoy !!!
For dosa batterIdli rice / Par boiled rice / Pachari - 2 cups
Urad dal - 1 cup
Chana dal / kadala parippu / bengal gram - 4 tbsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1 tbsp
Salt as needed
Potato - 3 nos, unpeeled
For potato filling
Onion - 1, big, thinly sliced
Green chili - 2 ,chopped finely
Turmeric - quarter tsp
For seasoning potato masala fillingOil - 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urad dal - half tsp
Chana dal - half tsp
Asafoetida/hing - a pinch
POTATO MASALA MAKING
- Wash and cut the potatoes into half and pressure for 2 whistles with required water and salt. I just boiled it in a pot. Once it is done and cools, peel its skin and mash it (not to a paste). Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds, and then add bengal gram, urad dal, curry leaves and then thinly sliced onion and chopped chilies. Saute until onion turns soft. Then add hing and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Add salt and now add the mashed potato and combine well. Check for salt.
- If the masala is too dry, u can add 2 tbsp of water and mix well.
- So our potato masala is ready.
DOSA BATTER MAKING
- Wash well and then soak idli rice / parboiled rice, urad dal, fenugreek seeds, bengal gram in enough water for 5 hours.
- Grind them until smooth texture after 5 hours by adding water little by little required(do not add more water at a time).
- Transfer it to a bowl , add salt and mix well. Leave it over night for fermentation. (required minimum 8 hours in summer and it differs according to the climate).
- Next day take the batter and mix well. Add water (may be half cup) required for making a batter of thick pouring consistency.
MAKING OF MASALA DOSA WITH POTATO MASALA
- Heat the tawa for making dosa. I used non stick dosa pan instead of frying pan. No need of applying ghee or oil for making dosa. Heat the pan and once hot reduce the flame to medium low. You cannot spread the dosa when the pan is hot. (Never make dosa when the pan is very hot.....if so reduce the flame, drizzle some cold water and then make dosas. )
- Once the flame is medium low, pour a ladle full of batter and then quickly spread it evenly in a circular motion from center to outside with the back of that ladle.
- Immediately drizzle some oil / ghee / butter in a circular motion. And now increase the flame little bit and then cover it with a lid. Cook for a minute and once the edges become golden open the lid and add 2 tbsp of potato masala and then fold from both side.
- Serve hot along with sambar, coconut chutney and red chili chutney.
DETAILED PICS BELOW