How about a healthy cake for kids without all purpose flour / maida? Yes, here am sharing a simple tasty and healthy cake recipe with Amrutham podi. Amritham podi is a nutrimix given for babies that is nutritious which is ready to cook and distributed free of cost as a take home ration through anganawadi centres in Kerala. This supplement consist of wheat, soybean, bengal gram, groundnut, jaggery in a particular ratio. One of the best ways to include such nutrients in our kids diet. However this supplement is not properly consumed maybe because of its unappealing taste and unattractive appearance. But my 3 yrs old kid is a big fan of this amrutham podi. I used to feed her this nutrimix in the form of porridge cooked in dates puree and milk. So i love to make innovative dishes with amrutham nutrimix which can pave way for its better use in future and thus avoid the malnutrition in kids. I think this recipe for cake is very much helpful for those moms who are in search of amrutham nutrimix recipes other than making porridge. Thanks to my friend Thasnim banu for this wonderful recipe. Here is the recipe showing how to make cake with amrutham podi / amrutham podi recipes / amrutham podi dishes / baby food ideas / homemade baby food recipes /baby snack ideas / healthy cake recipes /low sugar cake /low sugar cake recipes for toddlers /toddlers food recipes.
Amrutham podi (nutimix powder) - 2 cups (250 g)
Baking powder - 1 tbsp
Salt - half tsp
Butter - 50 g
Eggs - 3 nos
Sugar - less than half a cup (can add less)
Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
Almond slices and pistachios - for garnishing
- Set aside all the ingredients ready.
- Grease a round pan with butter and set aside.
- Sift together amrutham podi (nutrimix powder) ,baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a bowl, add the butter (at room temperature, very important) along with sifted dry ingredients (that is amrutham podi, baking powder, salt). Then combine these ingredients well with your fingers until butter is well mixed up with the flour (a bread crumbs texture ) Set aside.
- Lets start making the cake - In a bowl, beat the eggs (at room temp) and sugar until creamy. You can add less sugar as the nurimix itself is bit sugary.
- To this, add the crumbled flour mixture (which is set aside already). Beat it for 30 seconds.(do not beat more)
- Finally add vanilla essence and beat again.
- Pour this batter into the greased pan .
- Bake it in a preheated oven at 160 degree C for 30 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean. (i just sprinkled some almond flakes and pistachios slices in between baking ..ie, after 15 minutes )
- Slice it once cooled.