Pumpkin leaves / ugwu leaves / mathan ila is a great vegetable to cook and eat plain or to cook soup or even for mixing with juices after blending. Many of us still asks is it edible? Yes, it is edible and contains a healthy amount of calcium, iron, dietary fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C and moreover pumpkin leaves are low in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium. Some of the benefits of pumpkin leaves are prevention of convulsion, improves immune system, plays vital role in curing anemia, reduce blood sugar, lowers cholesterol, boosts fertility. Not only pumpkin leaves, pumpkin seeds health benefits are just amazing. Pumpkin seeds are a nutritional powerhouse. Pumpkin seeds can be served as an excellent snack which can be prepared within minutes. Will share pumpkin seeds recipe later. Growing pumpkins in your garden or in your balcony is quite simple. I have one in my balcony which i planted only for having the leaves. Green leafy vegetable curry or thalichath / soups are my family favorite. Even my daughter enjoys having those healthy soups. For me, pumpkin leaves recipes tastes delicious than pumpkin recipes. Here am sharing a simple pumpkin leaf soup recipe which is called as mathan ila thalichath in Kerala, Southern India. This recipe is very healthy and tastes delicious than other leafy soups ( ila thalichath) like muringa ila(moringa), kumbalanga ila like so. Hope you all give this recipe a try and drop your feedback in the comment box below.
Tender pumpkin leaf - 20 nos
Rice soup - 1 cup or more
Green chilies - 1 , slit
Salt - to taste
Shallot - 4 nos, chopped finely
Oil - 2 tsp
- Wash and dry the tender pumpkin leaves (mathan ila) and shred into fine strips with your hand. Set aside.
- Heat a wok with oil and saute the chopped shallots for a while (fry until slight golden). Then add green chili slit.
- When done, add the rice soup (kanji vellam) and allow it to boil.
- Once it starts to boil, add salt to it.
- Then add the shredded pumpkin leaves, mix well and close the lid.
- Allow it to cook covered for 10 minutes or until the leaves become tender. Do not cook for long which results in slight bitter taste.
- Enjoy with steamed rice as a curry along with some stir fried veggies. Enjoy this traditional Kerala recipe...