How about a quick cough relief omelette? Growing adalodakam plant / malabar nut in your home means you have a simple home remedy for cough right at hand in your garden. Pani koorkka / indian borage, brahmi, Tulsi / basil are some other medicinal plant which has been used in several ayurvedic treatment for centuries. So it is better to plant these medicinal plants at home for quick home remedies. The leaves of malabar nut (adalodakam) have been used to treat chronic cough, asthma, bronchitis and congestion in chest. The flowers, roots and seeds of malabar nut is also used in the preparation of various medicines.
Adalodakam / adathoda is a large shrub which is a good medicine for asthma and cough. It is known as malabar nut in english, adusa in hindi. You can simply boil the leaves in water and drink it or can powder this leaf and can store for more days. But it is very difficult to drink this water, especially for kids as it tastes bitter. So don't worry , here is my delicious cough relieving omelette . Now a days these medicinal plants are endangered because of our carelessness. So do protect these plants by planting these species in our garden or balcony. Though am residing in UAE, i have planted a Tulsi (basil) and Panikoorkka (Indian borage) in my balcony garden as it is very helpful in quick relief to kids illness.
So lets move on to the recipe showing how to make adalodakam omelette / best medicine for cough /cough medicine/ home remedies for cough /herbal medicine for cough /home remedies for cough for kids / malabar nut benefits.
Egg - 1
Adalodakam leaf paste - 1 tbsp
Oil - half tsp
for adalodakam leaf paste (for making 7 - 10 omelettes )
Adalodakam ila / malabar nut leaf - 15 nos, wash and dry
Small onions / shallots - 12 nos
Small jeera / cumin seed / nalla jeerakam - 1 tsp, heaped
Pepper corns - 1 tsp , heaped
Salt to taste
- Grind together all those ingredients for making adalodakam leaf paste. You can use smallest jar of grinder. Grind it to a fine paste with little water. If so, first grind shallots, cumin seeds, pepper corns and salt . When done, add the leaf with little water. Make a paste. I made this paste in Ammi kallu / Arakkallu - a variety of mortar and pestle or stone grinder to grind condiments or food items without adding water.
- When done, transfer it to an air tight container. You can store this for weeks when refrigerated.
- Now lets make omelette - Whisk an egg in a bowl. Add a teaspoon of this prepared adalodakam leaf paste (malabar nut leaf paste ). Mix well.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and make omelette. Fry both sides.
- Serve hot. Continue this for 3 to 5 days. Healthy, tasty and natural remedy for cough. Especially for kids chronic cough.