Here am with the traditional malabar recipe with ripe mangoes. Enjoying those sweet ripe small mangoes is a wonderful feeling. I got some small ripe mangoes from Kerala. So i thought of making some traditional dishes with that rather than having them. That fresh fragrance makes me drool and reminds me of my childhood days. Here is the recipe for chakkara manga (mango simmered in jaggery syrup). All you need is some ripe mangoes and jaggery / sharkara / chakkra. Enjoy.
Ripe small mangoes - 3 nos
Jaggery / sharkara / chakkara - 1 small cube , as per sweetness
Salt to taste
- Here i used small ripe mangoes (nadan maanga). I prefer small ripe mangoes for this recipe.
- Make slits in mangoes and let it boil in 1 cup of water. The quantity of water depends upon the size of mangoes.
- Once it starts boiling, add salt to taste. Boil until mangoes are half done.
- Meanwhile, melt jaggery in a separate bowl. Add this melted jaggery to this half cooked mangoes and simmer them for 15 - 20 minutes until mangoes are completely cooked in this sweet syrup. You will get a slight thick jaggery syrup once done.
- Let it cool completely and enjoy the tangy sweet mangoes.